THE MANOR HOUSE NEDDESITZ
From 1813 until 1995, the Neddesitz property was owned by the Gierke Family. At the time, this 92 hectares estate consisted of arable land and a chalk factory. The earth, heavily interspersed with chalk, gave reason to believe that larger chalk deposits were to be found under the surface, which was confirmed by soil samples. Thereupon, the Rügen chalk factory, named "Fritz Gierke", was founded in 1855.
With the chalk factory's expansion and the opening up of international markets came wealth and there now was a need for a residence for the manorial lord's family and his personnel; hence a manor was built.
In 1901, the then owner of the chalk quarry (Gierke) commissioned the construction of his manor house. According to the panel above the main entrance, the construction was eventually concluded in 1911 and costed 80.000 Gold marks.
Surprisingly no expropriation took place in 1945 and the farming activities continued until the "Aktion Rose" ("Action Rose") events in 1953. This led to the agricultural management of the estate being compulsorily leased out to the Agricultural Production Cooperative (LPG) "Neues Deutschland" ("New Germany"). In 1962 the chalk factory was shut down and five years later (1967), upon the urging of the district council of Rügen, the manor of Neddesitz was submitted to the state for free use. Until 1976, the Gierke family kept living in a small portion of the manor house. In 1995 the family property was liquidated.
On behalf of the then owner, the refurbishment, modernization and restauration of this landmarked building began in October 1995; thanks to the repairing of the roof in the seventies, its structure had been well preserved.
In October 1995 the licensed architect Sonja Fischer from Sassnitz took upon herself the task to make this mansion shine in its former glory again.
The façade needed a complete refurbishment; work began with the renewal of parts of the masonry in the principal cornice and ended with the restauration of the stucco elements, or their exact copy, as well as the replenishment of missing parts of decoration. Inside the house, the main goal was to preserve the central staircase with its ornate railings as well as the interior, richly decorated ornamental glass windows. The wooden panels were artfully restored on the surface with a glazing technique. The few still usable elements and floor tiles were creatively used in the hunting room.
On the 15th August 1997 the renovated manor house with its six master suites, three meeting rooms, one fireside room, one restaurant and a beer garden was handed over to the hotel management.